Heritage

The village is named after Sir Foulke Furlong who was Grand Seneschal for County Wexford during the reign of Henry V. He was Lord of Horetown House, and his castle was situated in Horetown, a short distance from the village.

The watermill was built in 1851. This watermill was used for grinding corn up to the 1980’s It is a 5-storey building and was built by the present owner, Austin Redmond’s great grand uncle. The current day mill was built on the site in the 1700’s. There is a corner stone by the door of today’s mill from the earlier mill.

Foulksmills village played an important role on the 1798 rising. Brigadier General John Moore was in command of the Cavalry and the famous Battle of Horetown took place where the insurgents led by Fr. Philip Roche were defeated at Goff’s Bridge.

Thanks to Jimmy Lawlor for the black and white photographs.